Monday, September 23, 2024

Math 10 Lab: Estimating Height

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on word problems through your blog entries!

As I mentioned, that Leaning Tower of Pisa word problem is still used in the trigonometry unit in Math 10. I actually had a good discussion with the students last year after watching this:



In an attempt to do something more hands-on in the trigonometry unit, I did a lab for estimating the height of a building using a simple clinometer. Here is the activity handout: Math 10 Lab Estimating Height. Feel free to use it and make it better!

For one class, it was raining, so I got the students to estimate the height of the classroom. (Always have a back-up plan in your lesson plan!)

I also challenged the students to get creative and find other ways to do the height estimate. One of my favourite solutions was from a group that took a picture of a classmate with the building and found the ratio of the student's height to the building height in the picture. Excellent use of proportional reasoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikon Universcale and Number Patterns

Our discussion on the use of base 10 and large numbers in Indian mathematics today reminded me of this resource: https://www.nikon.com/compa...