Last post today. There's just so much I could share when we're discussing word problems!
Saiya's good idea about using videos reminded me of Dan Meyer's Three-Act Math Tasks. I've learned over the years that if other colleagues have develop something that can be used, don't re-invent the wheels! I usually just access his spreadsheet directly. And if you do a search on "3 Act Math" you'll find many other math teachers have developed and shared their work.
Inspired by Dan Meyer's Three-Act math tasks, I've also collected videos I could use in class. One of my favourites is this one about gummy bears. I heard about this video from another teacher at a BCAMT conference one year, and it's become an activity I'd do in Math 8 after students learn about ratios and rates.
So the obvious question that students would come up with is: How many small gummy bear is equivalent to the world's largest gummy bear?
I'd bring a bag of gummy bears to class, show students the nutrition label which has information such as weight and calories, and ask students to do their estimates. Some groups want to use volume and would measure the size of the small gummy bears. (Remember to remind the students to measure first before eating it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment